One thousand one hundred days ago I started a blog focused on a milestone of a birthday. I can’t say I had a clear idea of where it was going, but I expected some benefits along the way and maybe at the end. Mostly those good things were to be artwork-making related, with some other tangential things thrown in for good measure.
Well, the eleven hundred days ended on December 19, 2012. Some of what I learned about the work of making art:
- Ideas require execution, or they are worth absolutely nothing.
- If you shut up, it’s easier to keep listening and looking.
- Teaching art to elementary-age students is about as rewarding as it gets.
- Distractions kill productivity.
- Avoid negative people.
- Wichita is a pretty good place to build a body of work.
- Follow a schedule.
- Do your best possible work; raise the bar every day.
- If you skimp on supplies or effort, it shows.
- 60 is the new 40.
That is not all, but it is a start.